I have been considering this move for a long time: adding the donate button to ye olde blog. I have seen other people do it and was frankly turned off by it.
But then it occurred to me: I am reading people’s work. Writing = work!
Writers and other artists, in my experience, have a difficult time putting a price tag on their blood sweat and tears. I write for a handful of places and as you may guess, the pay is minimal. Welcome to the world of a writer! I revert to photography/video production gigs when I can get them to pay the rent. But, this too is my work.
I hope you will consider supporting some of what I do here at Off The Record, the button is over there to your right – and as a special bonus you will get a personal thank you postcard from the NYC for donating (just remember to enter your address at the paypal checkout)!
If not, don’t worry about it – but please keep on reading. I will keep on writing.
Here are some projects I am working on:
- Following the Iowa GOP Caucuses
- Abstinence-only-until-marriage – tracking state efforts to overturn comprehensive sex ed laws, federal legislation that is inclusive of LGBT youth, an exciting podcast coming soon from Below the Waist! An integral part of my research and writing on this subject is to put anti-sex ed legislative efforts into the context of the overall war on women.
- Continuing investigations into the federal funding of anti-gay Focus on the Family affiliates around the country.
- Continuing to track state personhood, waiting period and other anti-choice state level legislation
- Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions committee hearing on child abuse – tying in legislation (brought forward repeatedly by CA Rep. George Miller) to regulate teen residential schools. My area of focus specifically is abusive Christian programs.
And now, a picture of a squirrel: